We hope everyone in the Minerdome family is keeping as well as can be in these strange and difficult times.
We wanted to reach out and let you know what has been happening behind the scenes whilst we are experiencing this forced closure.
- Unfortunately due to the sudden closure, all staff have either taken leave or have been stood down. We are currently working through the opportunities available with the recent announcement of the Job-Keeper Payments. Once this has been confirmed in Parliament, hopefully this will give us the opportunity to offer this to eligible staff members.
- With the extremely short notice given to close the club, we obviously had a substantial amount of food left over, and it was pleasing to see a majority of the perishable food be donated to a local charity – The Soup Bus.
- The following was issued late last week to our basketball members:
Basketball Ballarat wanted to reach out to you in what is a very difficult time for everyone. We are obviously feeling for all of those who have been seriously impacted by this horrible pandemic. We very much hope that you and your families are staying safe and well at this time.
We understand that you have many pressures on you and that basketball is not exactly front of mind for many of you right now. We also wanted to assure you that Basketball Ballarat will be doing all it can to re-open and rebound quickly to full operations across all our venues.
The decision to cancel the NBL1 South competition for 2020 is unprecedented but clearly correct. The most important battle for everyone in this country right now is to deal with this awful virus and its broader impacts as best as we can. We all need to play our part, follow government advice and protect the most vulnerable members of our community.
The last week has been a devastating for Basketball Ballarat. We have made the heartbreaking decision to temporarily stand down all our staff across our three venues while we are closed. As difficult as this was, it was the only possible decision if we hope to overcome the enormous financial impact of closing for this extended period of time. Fortunately many of the staff have leave entitlements that will help them adjust to this unexpected environment.
Peter Eddy, CEO, Basketball Ballarat.
The Basketball Department has also commenced a new “at home” avenue for keeping basketball ready being accessible from our website. It is a great tool especially if you have some kids at home.
- Due to the forced closure we have drawn the Club’s Easter promotion which included 10 hampers of around $1500 in value.
And the winners are:
1st Dale Sparkman
2nd Noel Madigan
3rd Brett Connarty
4th Garry White
5th Alan Nielson
6th Ray Sargent
7th Lorraine Skevington
8th Marita Gatens
9th Michael Kirby
10th Ralph Broemmer
Our congratulations to everyone listed above.
These hampers can be picked up from the front Bistro access doors on Thursday 9th April between 10 & 11am or between 3 & 4pm. Please bring photo ID and your members card when collecting your hamper. If you are unable to pick up your hamper at these times, please email email@example.com ASAP to arrange another suitable time.
- Keep a look out in social media for a recently announced promotion with CUB. More details to follow.
6.Lastly, our Punters Syndicate has gone into hibernation over this period, and when we are permitted to re-open, we will sort out some revised parameters to continue.
Happy Easter to everyone and keep safe.
Manager, Minerdome Sports Club
7th April, 2020.